Thursday, May 31, 2012

Review - Sound of the Heart by Genevieve Graham

Sound of the HeartTitle: Sound of the Heart
Author: Genevieve Graham
Series: Companion to Under The Same Sky
Pages: 336
Published: May 1st 2012 by Berkley Trade 
ISBN: 9780425247341
Source: Sent by author for honest review







Description: Dougal MacDonnell, a fierce warrior from the Highlands of Scotland, is able to hear the thoughts of other men and dream how the future will unfold. Devastated by the loss of his family during the Battle of Culloden in 1746, he fosters a deep hatred for the English. But when Glenna, the love of his life and a Scottish outlaw, is captured and shipped overseas, Dougal is forced to join an English army made of vanquished Scots. Now fighting on the side of his sworn enemies, he embarks on a journey that will take him across the seas to the colonies. There he will risk everything for the chance to find his true love.

I Give This ...
Photobucket

I was a little hesitant to read this at first because I haven't read the companion novel.  I wasn't sure how much they were connected and if it really mattered.  I decided to read it anyway just because I liked the idea of it.  And well... I like stories set in the Scottish Highlands.

I was immediately thrown into a very familiar battlefield.  I half expected to meet Jaimie from Outlander in these opening pages.   It actually had a very similar feel to that story.  I liked Dougal from the moment we meet him.  I love the sense of family we get and how he immediately knows something is wrong because of who is standing beside him.  It doesn't take long from the real battle to begin because we all know what happens at Culloden.  

I thought it was interesting that Dougal was just as concerned for the well being of others as he was for his own.  It doesn't take him long to make a friend with the same beliefs as his own and for them to take a young pair of boys under their wings.  In return, those boys help them escape.  But, sadly only two make it out alive.  

For the longest time, I wondered when we would be Glenna.  She seemed like she should be someone we meet in the opening pages.  When we finally do, it really seemed like a "duh moment" to me.  The clues were all there.  I didn't understand her at first, but her actions began to make sense.  She was doing the only thing she knew for most of her life.  It became harder and harder to shake off that lifestyle.  

I actually think the only downfall of this novel was that is could have been longer.  A lot of time is covered in this book and a few events just barely glanced over.  It never felt long and I was disappointed when it ended.  I will be seeking out the companion book though.  I think it might hold some answers to the questions that I have! 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails